motor home : Life in a motor home has its moments pt2
After 15 years on the road, John Szekley, who calls Wall home during the tourist season, said he hasn’t found any disadvantages.
“I have all the comforts of home,” Szekley said. His 38-foot motor home has a washer and dryer and a customized computer desk. Most of his possessions are in the motor home.
Ken Ashcraft and Karen Upchurch lived in their RV for almost 10 years. The couple traded regular jobs to become workampers so they could spend more time together and see the country. They follow the seasons, moving north in the summer and south for the winter.
Two years ago, rather than upgrading their motor home, the couple bought a mobile home in Wall where they work at Wall Store for at least five months of the year.
“I never thought I wanted to quit until I quit,” Upchurch said. “The mobile home was a nice change.”
Now, the couple isn’t as concerned about the weather when they travel, Ashcraft said.
During seasonal migrations to and from Wall, they can take side trips they might not have taken with a bulky motor home.
“There are certain roads I wouldn’t take with the RV,” Ashcraft said.
With gas prices climbing, Ashcraft said traveling by car and renting an apartment does not cost any more than driving the RV.
Cheryl Coomer likes the mini-vacations she takes driving her motor home and car back and forth from California to Wall. Coomer makes two trips each spring and fall because she refuses to tow her car.
The trips have become “mini-vacations” that give her a chance to unwind from the frantic pace of Wall Drug.
When Szekley finishes his season at Wall Drug, he’ll head east to visit children in New Hampshire and Florida and then he drives to California where he’ll sleep in his own bed each night.
“It’s not for everybody,” Szekley said. “But I enjoy it.”
By Andrea J. Cook, Journal Staff Writer
“I have all the comforts of home,” Szekley said. His 38-foot motor home has a washer and dryer and a customized computer desk. Most of his possessions are in the motor home.
Ken Ashcraft and Karen Upchurch lived in their RV for almost 10 years. The couple traded regular jobs to become workampers so they could spend more time together and see the country. They follow the seasons, moving north in the summer and south for the winter.
Two years ago, rather than upgrading their motor home, the couple bought a mobile home in Wall where they work at Wall Store for at least five months of the year.
“I never thought I wanted to quit until I quit,” Upchurch said. “The mobile home was a nice change.”
Now, the couple isn’t as concerned about the weather when they travel, Ashcraft said.
During seasonal migrations to and from Wall, they can take side trips they might not have taken with a bulky motor home.
“There are certain roads I wouldn’t take with the RV,” Ashcraft said.
With gas prices climbing, Ashcraft said traveling by car and renting an apartment does not cost any more than driving the RV.
Cheryl Coomer likes the mini-vacations she takes driving her motor home and car back and forth from California to Wall. Coomer makes two trips each spring and fall because she refuses to tow her car.
The trips have become “mini-vacations” that give her a chance to unwind from the frantic pace of Wall Drug.
When Szekley finishes his season at Wall Drug, he’ll head east to visit children in New Hampshire and Florida and then he drives to California where he’ll sleep in his own bed each night.
“It’s not for everybody,” Szekley said. “But I enjoy it.”
By Andrea J. Cook, Journal Staff Writer
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Home